Stimulate spiritual seeking!
Reflecting on Lesson 3:
How did you SERVE someone and what was their response?
What impact did it have on your relationship with them?
Jesus often asked questions to help people seek truth. For example, in Mark 10, Jesus asked blind Bartimaeus, What do you want me to do for you? Notice how the question caused Bartimaeus to consider and clearly state what he wanted for his life.
Asking questions can create opportunities for you to be SALT and LIGHT. Good questions help people reflect on life and important issues that they often don’t stop to think about, particularly spiritual matters.
To have a deeper conversation with your colleagues, start with a question that shows concern for them and helps you get to know them better, such as:
- What’s something good that happened to you recently?
- What do you do to relax or relieve stress?
Then move to a more personal question, such as:
- What challenges have you faced during this pandemic?
- What has helped you to get through this?
This week, try asking questions that lead to a deeper conversation with the colleagues for whom you have been praying. As they answer, listen for places that would give you an opening to share your experience and possibly move to a spiritual conversation, but don’t force it. (We will talk more about this later.)
“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. (read more)
Questions invite people to search for answers. Ask sincere questions and invite them into a dialogue sharing views and experiences.
This will help them to:
- Start thinking about spiritual topics
- Express their thoughts on spiritual issues
- Reveal their barriers to faith in God
Questions you could ask:
- Were there spiritual influences on you as a child? How did you respond to them?
- Did you have a religious upbringing? Have you taken a different path since then?
- Have you ever experienced something that made you feel that God is real?
- Has there ever been a point in your life when you have wanted to know more about God? Why do you think you had that longing?
- What would you say is most important to you in life right now?
- How important are spiritual things to you?
- How do you feel about where your journey has brought you?
- Are there things that are keeping you from believing in God?
- Do you feel like God is for you or against you?
- If you could ask God one question, what would you ask, and why?
- If you were to choose your path over again in life, what would you do differently?
- Do you think you are moving toward God, away from God, or staying the same?
What are your favorite discussion-starter questions?